RE: MGB temperature

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB temperature
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 18:18:00 -0800 (PST)
Does anyone have any ideas?

The engine is a 72 with a big valve head, high compression rods, and a
crane cam. Static timing is at 14 degrees. The water pump is new from a
'67 to get the proper pully spacing. The radiator is brand new early
style. (Moss replacement) All engine accessories are new or fresh
rebuilt. The only other contrary indication is that I cannot get it to
idle smoothly below 1000 rpm but I blamed that on the cam. The engine
was rebuilt by another, I did all the rest.

I really need help before the summer.

Thanks

        Ernest
********
The higher compression and hotter cam will produce more heat, Maybe too much
for your fan to take care of at idle. I have a crane cam in my engine. It's
a little choppy at idle but not much. I have the idle at 800. Do you have
your vaccume advance hooked up? From what year is the distributor? Sounds
like you may be a little to advanced on the timing or running a little lean
on the mixture. Both can cause overheating. Thermostats are cheap. Swap it
out. Perhaps it is not openning fully.

Christopher Reichle