'66 MGB won't start

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '66 MGB won't start
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 13:24:28 -0600
Hello,

I have a '66 MGB that my brother and I have been restoring -- he worked on
the engine, I worked on the interior.  Anyway, he is now working overseas
and I have the car to myself.  This morning I went to start it (I haven't
driven it in about 1 month) and it wouldn't start.  Needless to say, I am a
novice working in the engine, so I thought I would turn here for help.

Basically this is what happens: The starter turns and turns and turns but
the engine makes no indication of firing.  The car is garaged, so it isn't
exposed to the elements and this is the first time the car hasn't started
for me since we had the engine professionally rebuilt three years ago (other
than the batteries being dead <g>).

My normal process for starting the car is to pull the choke out fully, turn
the engine over a few times, and if it doesn't start, wait a minute and try
again, then finally put the choke back in and try again.  After doing this
over and over I thought maybe the carbs were flooded... I waited... and
still nothing.

My question, what list of things should I check (and in what order)?  The
distributrer?  Spark plugs?  Fuel Pump?

Sorry if I am asking a real dumb question... but I want to be armed with
information before I spend an afternoon tracking down the problem.

Thanks,
Ross
// Ross A. Goldberg (aka Loki)
// http://www.computek.net/public/loki