RE: Synthetic motor oil??

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Synthetic motor oil??
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 1996 01:47:00 -0800 (PST)
I have heard of cases where an old engine with old seals will begin to leak
after synthetic oil has been used. The idea is that the synthetc oil cleans
out the gunk that has been keeping the old seals drip free. I don't use it
in my recently rebuilt 80 because with the K&N air filter, my oil gets dirty
pretty quick and I change it long before it has broken down. I don't feel
that I would be getting all of the benefits out of synthetics and it does
cost a bit. No flames on my synthetic comments please... I know there are a
whole lot of other benefits to using them. Might I suggest blending
synthetic with good oil for a cheaper compromise. I believe Quaker makes a
hybrid oil like this and I have read about "hot rodders" doing this for
years. Just a thought.