re: Roadster windshield frame coating

To: Russ Wilson <russ@scubed.com>
Subject: re: Roadster windshield frame coating
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 11:56:24 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 7 Mar 1996, Russ Wilson wrote:

> A word of caution: although the anodizing will create a
> diffusely-reflecting surface, achieving a high luster in the polishing step
> is critical to the finished appearance.  Before it is anodized, the
> aluminum should look like it was freshly chromed.  This takes some serious
> buffing, as the original anodizing, which is very hard, must be completely
> removed.  I did a small spot with my Sears buffer then turned it over to
> the pros.

If you want to buff aluminum that was originally anodyzed, it's helpful to
sand the anodyzing off first (with, of course, very fine sandpaper).
Otherwise, as you discovered, you can buff until you're blue in the face
before you wear through the original coating.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910