Search for a common drain

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Search for a common drain
From: Motorheadx@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 09:58:33 -0500
Morning,

   We've noticed that a common drain on MGB's occurs when the trunk light
switch becomes dislodged and leaves the light on with the boot closed. To
test for this, set up a comfortable terrarium in the trunk and raise blind
cave salamanders; check them periodically, over several generations, to see
if they evolve sight.

   Actually, testing for a drain can be more ethically accomplished if you
remove one battery cable and insert a test light between it and the battery.
 With the key and all electrical functions off (including the door light) a
brightly glowing test light may indicate that an errant current is passing.
 By selectively removing fusebox leads you may gradually locate the source of
the drain.

   When the symptom is dead or low battery we:

1.  Confirm the symptom:  when and how does it occur.

2.  Check if the headlights work:  is the symptom really "starter won't
turn", rather "battery is dead"?

3.  Check the battery: After a specific gravity test, clean the battery, body
and starter connections and charge if necessary.

4.  Check for drains.

5.  Check the charging system: for generators about 13.5 volts, 20 amps; for
alternators about 13.5 volts, 30 amps.  The readings can be higher but if the
voltage is too high, overcharging may boil the electrolyte out of the
battery.  Look for acid spilling around the battery.

6.  Check starter draw:  the starter can operate but draw too much current.

Have fun,

Jeff and your friends at Motorhead
2811-B Old Lee Hwy
Fairfax, VA 22031