Re: Emissions stuff

To: Matthew Montes <MMONTES@muskingum.edu>
Subject: Re: Emissions stuff
From: ek_john_luthy <luthy@cesd.servtech.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 00:49:37 -0500 (EST)
On 10 Mar 1996, Matthew Montes wrote:

> My 70 B doesn't have the charcoal cannister.  My mother is the PO and doesn't
>remember having it taken off.  I'm going to replace the gulp and check valves.
> Will it help if I also buy a cannister?  Thanks in advance

        I was doing smog checks in the 70's and as I recall only cars
that were sold new in 1970 in Cal had to have "EFE" (carbon canisters). I
remember seeing many federal (49 state-not Ca.) cars that did NOT have efe
systems. Now I do not know if cars imported into the US had to conform to
the US or the Ca. smog laws so there is a grey area here.(in my mind -
which is mostly grey).
        1970 cars sold in Ca. had to have EFE, Closed crankcase, and in
most cases some sort of spark advance control, and usually an heated air
cleaner. Of course there were exemptions and I am sure that we will soon
learn of them.
        In short look at the sticker under the hood or on the door jam
and determine if the car conforms to standards for 1970 of 1969, or for
Ca. or for Fed. (49 state). It makes a BIG difference. Then find a smog
tech who can help you out.

        BTW I NEVER smoged a illegal car (I made my own mom buy a NOx
kit) and I still work as a mechanic. (part time).

                LEx