Gulp valves and their replacement or repair

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gulp valves and their replacement or repair
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 11:01:48 -0800 (PST)
Dear Netters,

I've been having problems with some backfiring on my 1970 MGB-GT. I've
checked the check valve on the air-injection manifold, it's OK. However,
I suspect my gulp valve may not be operating properly. I've checked the
manifold to Gulp-valve pipe for obstructions and it is ok. I pulled the
gulp valve off and checked as to the movement of the valve, it was stuck,
I worked the mechanism up and down a bit, sort of freeing it up and
replaced it. The car still backfires. Has anyone any suggestions about
repair or replacement of this device? I'd rather repair it if possible,
given that it is $80+ for a new one.

John Peloquin