RE: MGB Kinpin headache...

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Kinpin headache...
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 16:23:00 -0800 (PST)
Put a jack under the pan to release the presure on the pan by the spring.
Unbolt the pan and drop it. From here you can take the A-arms off and
replace the bushes along with the kingpin stuff. This will unbind the
sandwitch...

  The problem is the a-arm\kingpin/a-arm sandwich at the
  bottom of the stubaxle will NOT come apart. I removed
  the big castellated nut with an impact wrench, and managed
  to get the pivot bolt to spin inside the kingpin bush/distance
  tube affair, but I can not remove the bolt.  Frustrated, I let
  the assembly soak in Kroil (and me in malt beverage) overnight;
  I put the nut back on and whanged it with an air hammer for a
  while.  *I* felt alot better but *it* still wont budge ;-)
  Any one have any ideas??

I would replace the races too. They're easy to pop out with a drift fron the
back sie of the race. There is a little cutout to give access for a punch to
hit the back of the race to pop it out. The proper sized socket can be used
to press the new one in.
Chris
  On a related note, I figured that while I had the hub apart,
  it would be a good idea to replace the wheel bearings.  The
  new bearing kit included races that need to be pressed into
  the hub.  The old races look and feel fine.  Is it a bad idea
  to use the guts of the new bearings and the exixting races,
  or should I just go ahead and have the new ones pressed in.
  In keeping with typical British Leyland fashion, my  manuals
  say to replace them if they need to be replaced  :-|