Re: Info wanted Datsun 1600

To: oliverc@cc.tacom.army.mil
Subject: Re: Info wanted Datsun 1600
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 13:19:22 -0500
Chris:

Don't know of a list offhand to support Datsuns, but I owned several for
years before owning lbc's.  I had a 240Z and, for a brief period, had a 1600
'Fairlady' convertible.  Reminds me a lot of a B, really.

Simple to work on, fairly straightforward 4-beater engine. Car handles pretty
nicely, though I don't think as well as an MG.  Overhead Cam design, if I
recall, similar to a lot of Datsuns of the period. Has twin carbs, similar to
SU's.  Datsun, oddly enough, knocked off a lot of German performance engines
in those days; the early 240Z engine valve train is an exact (and I do mean
exact) duplicate of the Benz 2.4 litre; you can interchange parts between the
two seamlessly.

The Fairlady is a nice car, and pretty rare. If the price is good, I'd pick
it up.  The only drawback is the difficulty in finding parts; as far as I
know, there's no supplier of parts similar to our Moss or Vicky B catalogues.
 Datsun/Nissan itself, however, still supports many parts for the working
bits of the car, if not the glamour bits.

Luck.

ckr