Fuel tank float question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel tank float question
From: "Bart Schwartz" <bschwartz@dttus.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 20:24:12 CST
     I put a new float in the tank of my '76 Midget.  Two problems:

     1) The tank leaks a little
     2) The gauge reads 3/4 full with only 2 gallons

     I'm wondering if it's because I put on the float gasket in the wrong
     order.  I put the gasket on the tank first, then the float and then
     the thing that tightens it all together.

     Should I have put the float in first, then the gasket and then the
     thing that tightens it all together?

     I'm confused about which way gives the best seal and properly grounds
     the float.

     Any ideas?

     * Bart Schwartz                 Internet:  bschwartz@dttus.com *
     * 1976 Midget 1500              CServe:    75753,2550          *
     * Overland Park, Kansas                                        *