Re: TD Tyres

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD Tyres
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 14 Mar 1996 09:01:45 -0600
In <199603140746.CAA13433@emout05.mail.aol.com>, DGeis@aol.com wrote:

>I would like to know if anyone on the list has some thoughts on modern tire
>replacements for the 5.50-15 Dunlops on my TD.  Also sources if any for
>5.50-15s.  And one more thing:  will the original wheels work with tubeless
>tires (presuming such a fit exists) or would it be necessary to put tubes in?

One nice thing about TD's is that they have a 15" wheel and skinny
tires.  Can you think of another car that has a 15" wheel and skinny
tires?  Can you say VW?  I thought you could.

Point is that tires suitable for VW's are still readily available.  I
have a set of Pirelli radials on my TD, the handling is markedly
improved.  I think they are 165r15 or something like that.  No, you
don't need tubes (with the disk wheels), but make sure the rims are
clean and straight, since these wheels seem to be made of an alloy
involving Velveeta and bend easily.

                        A. B. Bonds