Re: MG car Club

To: taran@boxlight.com
Subject: Re: MG car Club
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 14:00:17 -0700

>At 06:47 AM 3/14/96 PST, you wrote (and I got, complements of Ted):
>>
>>Dear Ted,
>>
>>My 1970 MG  is having problems.   When I try to start it,  It starts right
>>up and sounds great for about 10 seconds and then dies   as if someone flip
>>a switch.  every time I try to start it this happens,  or it will start and
>>purr like a kitten and then rev up really high until it is about ready to
>>red line and I shut it off to scared that I may wreck the engine.  Is there
>>any hope for this car?   It use to run great, and I have no idea what is
>>happening.  I have rebuilt the carb's 3 times now,  I have check for vacuum
>>leaks and I have tried adjusting the timing and nothing seems to work.  If
>>you know what may be happening or someone who may know, could you please
>>tell me or have someone  contact me.   I am very stumped.
>>
>>Thank you for your kindness !                      Tara Neuswanger

First - the high rev problem is most certainly due to a sticking throttle,
the linkage, or the cable. So turn the engine off and look at those things.
Most likely when you installed the carbs, the linkage was offcenter when you
tightened the carbs down.

When I reinstall the carbs, I always try to tighten the four bolts down
evenly while checking the linkage to insure it moves freely - something I
just did two days ago no less.

Ten seconds and the car dies - I would immediately shut off power for that
also (turn off ignition switch). Then remove the top of one of the floatbowl
lids to see if there is fuel in the bowl. If not, a fuel filter problem or
sticking float/float needle may be at fault. Thus the car would essentially
be running out of gas.

Either way, I still suspect the carbs at this juncture as the cause to your
problems.