Re: Stored MGBs - The pros and cons

To: Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk>
Subject: Re: Stored MGBs - The pros and cons
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:59:06 +0000
I've been working on an MG-TD that sat in storage for 25 years
without moving. The things that degraded the most were:

1. The gasoline turned into varnish and tar (tar on the bottom
 and varnish on top). I'm sure your MGB won't be this bad,
 but keep in mind that gasoline has a shelf life of only
 6 months. It may be impossible to start the car in freezing
 temperatures on old gasoline as the more volatile components
 have probably evaporated away.

2. The brakes were completely frozen. The brake fluid had tuned
 to glue and locked up all the brake cylinder patrs. Again,
 the MGB probably isn't that bad, but I have heard that
 brakes don't take well to storage unless you're using
 silicone brake fluid. Any other opinions out there?

3. The fan belt and radiator hoses just crumbled. Probably just
 due to old age. Better check them out before driving away.

4. Of course the battery was shot.

5. The tires still held air once I pumped them up, but they
 shook the car violently, even at 10 mph! They looked
 round but they sure didn't feel round.

On the bright side, the engine itself didn't seem to suffer any
ill effects. This may be due to storage in a nice dry heated
garage. Also the radiator seems fine, although I've been warned
that they go bad from old age. I've also heard that the rust
inhibitors in antifreeze wear out, so I would put new antifreeze
in right away. I'm sure you'll get much more advice from others
on the list here.

Bob D.
53 MG-TD
71 MGB