Fighting Rust...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fighting Rust...
From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 14:40:09 -0600
Hello,

I pulled my MGB out of the garage to wash it today (the first good wash of
the season) and I noticed that it is starting to rust in places MG's tend to
rust in... my question is:  How to I stop the rust from spreading without
having to repaint the car or replace panels???  The car is always garaged
and not driven in the rain (when it can be avoided).

The rust seems to be most prevelant in the seam on the running board (is
that the correct term) near the back of the door.  The rust looks like it
has only speard out about 1/8" at most in spots, but who knows what lies
beneath.  Also, along the bottom of the fenders (where it is connected to
the body) I see a small amount of rust with the paint flaking off.  Could I
speard some sort of oil based product on the bottom of the car where it is
rusting and stop the rust from speading, or is it once it starts nothing can
be done?

I have seen the posts about Waxol (sp?) and I am wondering if this is
something I need to look into...

I am not interested in making the car like new, that isn't going to happen.
I just don't want my car to start rusting from the inside out -- please help :-)

Thanks,
Ross
// Ross A. Goldberg (aka Loki)
// http://www.computek.net/public/loki