Re: '67 B upgraded (?) to later car (was: '65, '66, etc.)

To: lawref@lawref.com, thorpe@kegs.saic.com
Subject: Re: '67 B upgraded (?) to later car (was: '65, '66, etc.)
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:42:35 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-08 17:51:11 EST, lawref@lawref.com (Ernest E.
Gilbert) writes:

>A big problem is fit of the trans case at the forward end where it
>enters the tunnel. There will be about one fourth inch clearance for the
>later trans and it will klunk against the tunnel sides, especially the
>off side. A friend of mine finally bolted rubber snubbers to the tunnel
>entry to quiet his conversion down.
>
>Also, there are 2 sizes of input shafts which enter the spiggot brg in
>the end of the crank. Make sure the new trans fits the old crank.

The only cars with wrong pilot shafts are 3 main bearing engine cars, which I
should have pointed out before.
As far as clearance goes, it depends on what kind of shape the engine mounts
and trans mounts are in. Sometimes a little hammer-borne pre-adjustment will
ensure that clearances stay clear, but I've never had to myself...