Re: Leaking Fuel Pump

To: Sean Gould <0006370820@mcimail.com>
Subject: Re: Leaking Fuel Pump
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 16:55:00 -0800
Greetings!

>I have a '52 MG TD.  When I started the car the other day, the electric
>SU fuel pump (about the size of beer can, with three sections, six
>screws) started to leak from the two gaskets that join the three peices.

The joint you're talking about is the location of the diaphram and it has
apparently packed it in. This allows gas to seep into the solenoid body of
the pump which is vented to atmosphere.

>Does anybody know of a rebuild kit?  If so who should I call?  How
>much?

Rebuild kits with a replacement diaphram are readily available for around
$20.  Try MOSS or Abingdon Spares.  I completed this repair on my TC last
spring. It is not too expensive but the installation requires three hands
and five thumbs.  Around the diaphram are a number of small rings each
looking like a brass #10 nut with the flats rounded off.  These little
suckers have been cooped up inside your pump for 45 years and will make a
desperate break for escape at the first chance they see.  Watch for it!  The
replacement kit I bought came with replacements but they were neoprene or
some other plastic.  I reasoned the brass had lasted 50 years without a
problem so I used the originals when I installed the new diaphram.

>Would it be a better idea to put another type of fuel pump on?  Such
>as a generic Ford fuel pump?  I'm concerned that these other types
>might be too high pressure for the dual SU carbs.  Any comments?

This item is touchy.  You've got a 45 year old piece of automotive history,
modify it at your own risk.  There has been gigabytes of bandwidth expended
on the debate of originality vs improved performance here and elsewhere and
I don't want to start it up again but consider this; your car has run as it
is for nearly half a century are the changes you make likely to improve on
that?  Will they increase or decrease the value of what you have?
(Some DPO improved my TC by replacing the original fog lamp with a newer
'improved' model, probably in the sixties.  The replacement lamp is now
relatively common (I have two).  The original is impossible to find and a
reproduction is $600!  Be forwarned.
>Also, is this car negative or positive ground?  As far as I know, the
>car is all stock.

If stock, it's positive ground.

>Thanks alot for your comments... happy motoring!

Same to you!
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        1947 MG-TC 3528