using "aged" fuel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: using "aged" fuel
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:19:53 -0500
Fellow fiends:

Someone (Loki?) was asking about problems associated with firing up an MG
with gasolene purchased back in the fall.  Probably several list members
east of the divide do this each spring, so nothing Denise T. has to say will
be relevant (for a change,  ;-).  If this post is redundant, pardon the
waste (most of mine are--waste, that is), but I thought that I'd report my
experience.

I've had no substantial problems running that "old" gas in the spring.  The
car gives the sensation of being slightly down on power and idle is a bit
rougher than usual but otherwise I've had no problems.  All clears up with
the first tank of "fresh" fuel.  I use no stabilizers, though it has occured
to me that a can of dry-gas in the spring probably wouldn't hurt.  Any
comments on that?

Old Whitesides fired up on the first try and is running fine now (yipeee),
after a quick re-set of the gap (it had closed) and a slight timing change
needed to compensate for the opened gap (I did a generous 0.016 and probably
"advanced" the timing with the gap adjustment).  The car runs fine now with
smooth running at high rpm and a good pull from standing sans pinging.  All
of this was done after a generous topping off of the old gas w/ a fresh tank
of regular.

God. I love this car.

Will "God, he loves that car" Zehring