Re: Rattle under deceleration

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rattle under deceleration
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 13:07:32 -0600 (CST)
>Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 20:40:52 -0600
>From: "Ross A. Goldberg" <loki@computek.net>
>

>Hello,
>
>My 66 MGB makes a rattling sound (from the engine) when I take my foot off
>the gas at highway speeds and sometimes when I downshift.  I have always
>heard the tap-tap-tap of the engine (that's how I know it's running <g>) but
>this rattling doesn't sound normal.
>
>Does anyone have an idea what it is and what to do (if necessary) to correct
>it?  Please don't tell me it is a major problem, I can't take news like
that <g>

>BTW... the engine was rebuilt about 15k miles ago (by someone who only works
>on MG's)
>
>Thanks,
>Ross

Ross,

What you MIGHT be experiencing is a loose header / downpipe connection. It
happened to me once after a short rebuild. Make sure the bolts are tight all
the way around and there's no wobble on the flange.

Glenn
The universe is inherently funny.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com

'74 MGB - fatally wounded
'69 MGB - prim little touring car