Unknown Transmissions

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Unknown Transmissions
From: ejm03@health.state.ny.us
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 15:25:40 EST
Need to pick the collective knowledge of the group. I picked up, for free,
 two transmissions that look like MGA 1500's but are different.

One is a three speed with two shift levers on the side cover. Have been told
this is for the Metropolitian. It bolts up to a 1500 MGA engine very nicely.

The other one looks like the rare MGA close ratio box and bolts up to the
1600 MGA engine (high starter motor position). It is a four speed with
standard gear ratios. The interesting part is that the clutch slave cylinder
is mounted on top of the bell housing rather than on the side and the clutch
fork sticks up through the top. What manner of old British iron did this go
in?

Both have had the advantage of outdoor storage for at least a decade or two,
so are good only for parts but I am curious,  A column shift MGA - rare factory
experiment for the US market?;-) ;-)

Gene Myszkowski             1959 MGA 1500 roadster on the road
ejm03@health.state.ny.us    1959 MGA 1600 coupe on the track