MG-TD Clutch Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG-TD Clutch Question
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 96 18:12 EST
Just took the TD on a shake-down cruise. First time she has moved under her
own power in 25 years! I've been working on the mechanicals for almost a
year now. Everything went surprisingly well. Turns out I didn't need the tools
or the fire extinghiser I had brought along. But I did find one problem, when I
release the clutch pedal it engages very slowly, like molsais in January. No
problem with slippage or anything, just slow. Being a novice backyard mechanic,
I am unfamiliar with the clutch mechanism. Is anything in the clutch lubricated?
I ask this because I had found that the grease in other parts of the car had
turned into a sticky goo like the insides of a Fig Newton. Any ideas? I'm
hoping something just needs some fresh lube or cleaning. (By the way, the clutch
was working fine when it was parked 25 years ago. I've had this car so long,
that I'm almost my own DPO.) Thanks in advance.

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration
1971 MGB