Smog test/Timing question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Smog test/Timing question
From: "Alan Bidgood" <Alan_Bidgood@qmail4.nba.TRW.COM>
Date: 25 Mar 1996 09:19:27 -0700
Hi, I've been subscribing to this list for a little while, and have noted the
wealth of knowledge and experience out there.  Well now it's my opportunity to
ask a question:-

Recently (this past weekend) I took my 1978 MGB Roadster in for the dreaded
California Smog inspection (which incidently it had passed with flying colors 2
years ago).  Anyway it just scraped through, with the proviso that they reset
the timing which was at 15 dbtdc to the required 10 dbtdc. (for an additional
10 dollars).
The thought of having to go away and returning to repeat this awful experience
of them revving up my car, pulling around the hoses etc. etc.and of course next
time it might fail.  I therefore decided to let them adjust the timing, having
checked my book which agreed it should be 10 degrees.
Anyway I came away with my smog certificate (which is quite a relief as those
of you in California will agree), however the car doesn't run as well,
particularly the idle which almost seems to miss abeat every now and then.  The
idle speed had slowed down, so I increased that with the adjusting screw, and
then started to play with the mixture screw. It seemed whether I increased the
mixture or leaned it off, no change could be observed.  Now I don't know where
I am?
Oh by the way I'm sure you now but I have a single Stromberg carb. and
everything else is standard for the 1978 version. - I expect this sounds
pathetic when I can't even set a single carb and I expect most of you have your
twin SU's purring in balance.

I'm sorry to be so long-winded but any comments or help would be very much
appreciated. eg. explanation of what has happened, effect of the different
timing, also how to the set the carb with no special euipment.

                           Thanks,
                                                       Alan B.'