Re: Double Clutch and Saab/MG-TD Shifting

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Double Clutch and Saab/MG-TD Shifting
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:20:39 +0000
All this talk about sycros and clutches reminds me of my old
'64 Saab 96. It had sycro and free wheeling which allowed you
to up/down shift without using the clutch. You only had to
let off the gas and let the engine rev down first. As long as
the engine speed was slower than the tranny speed, it was
just like having the clutch down. This was not possible
when completely stopped though.

Now for the LBC content. The TD does not have syncro in
1st gear, but 2nd gear is still pretty low. (If the TD were
a truck, I think they would call 1st Granny.) Do TD drivers
just normally avoid down shifting into 1st? I would think
you would not need to be in 1st unless you were really
creeping along. In fact, I'm tempted to start in 2nd
(at least on level ground). Would this be a bad idea?
How do you other T series owners usually shift?

Bob Donahue, at my work computer
53 MG-TD finally drivable FIYer
71 MGB in the shop getting new floor boards and sills.