oil leak in rear brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil leak in rear brakes
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 01:22:10 -1000
You'll have to remove the half shaft and hub. Getting the hub out is a
bit of a pain if you don't have any special tools. I use the flange
off a broken half shaft, reversed so that the concave side is facing
outwards - then tighten up the wheel nuts (evenly) so that the hub is
then pulled off the banjo. (Actually, it nearly pulls it off, but is
then loose enough to pull off by hand.)

Prise out the seal and replace it. You can replace it by gently and
evenly tapping it down with a blunt instrument. I lightly grease the
seal and the facing on the banjo and press the hub back on.

What else to check? Well, check the wheel bearings. If there is any
grittness as you rotate the bearing, replace it. Use locktite
retaining compound on the inner and outer faces of the bearing to
prevent the bearing from spinning in the hub or on the face of the
banjo.

You should replace the paper gasket b/n the half shaft and the hub
(pre-soak in diff oil), you can almost certainly get away with
re-using the o-ring if you want to.

You should top up the diff oil in the centre of the banjo at the oil
fill position. This will ensure you don't overfill (which can result
in oil leaks even with good seals).

Oh yeah, if your banjo has a breather above the diff, check it isn't
blocked.  A blocked breather will also force oil out through otherwise
good seals.

Now for the brake linings and drums. You should really replace the
linings, but you can probably get away with using acetone to clean
them (and the drum).  Petrol is not good enough (tho' avgas is much
better than pump gas). Acetone is very very good for this application
(and *much* cheaper than "brake cleaner")

After cleaning with acetone, give the linings a light run with 80 grit
sandpaper.

Anyhow, that is my experience, your mileage may vary...

Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au