RE: MG Midget Clutch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MG Midget Clutch
From: GeorgeC70@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 22:12:27 -0500
Jon D. Breen was asking about cluych bleeding problems on Midgets. I have
just replaced the clutch in my '70 Midget over the winter. After 2 days of
lying on my back while my neighbor pumped the pedal , the clutch finally
works. After trying normal bleeding methods i finally took the slave cylinder
off the transmission and wrapped Teflon tape on the bleed screw and put it
back in. Using a vacuum bleeder and most of a bottle of Castrol LMA fluid we
finally got all the air sucked out of the line. Seems like the bleeder screws
are a little sloppy when you try to open them enough  to get a good flow, and
will get some air back into the system and defeat your purpose. Give it a
try: at least it worked on mine.
George Chase
GeorgeC70@aol.com
'70 MG Midget