BRG, etc.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: BRG, etc.
From: wls@homarus.ccsu.ctstateu.edu (Bill Singleton)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 09:28:39 -0400
Will Zehring notes:

>Specific colors were routinely associated with the nationality of the entry.
> Green was used by the Brits (ERA, Conaught, BRM, Lotus, Cooper, Jaguar,
>BRP); Silver was German (Auto Union, Mercedes, and I belive Porsche); Red
>was (of course) Italian (Ferrari, Fiat, Alfa Romeo), French was Blue
>(Bugatti) and the US was either White or White with a blue stripe (though I
>can't point to a true "US" grand prix car).  Were the early Gurney Eagles
>White?  I know Briggs Cunningham raced white/blue at Le Mans.  Early Honda
>was white as well, so there is some confusion here.

My recollection is that the French blue was sort of a powder blue and that
the US color was closer to a royal blue.  I also seem to recall that
divisions other than Formula I used the national colors.

For the truly dedicated, James Garner did a movie about Gran Prix racing
during that time.  I always enjoy watching the racing scenes and think it
would be best to watch with the fast foreward button close at hand.  Garner
reportedly enjoyed the film because he got to do his own driving (in a
white Formula I Honda).

  --Bill Singleton

'52 TD, soon to go under the knife

William L. Singleton                   | singleton@ccsu.ctstateu.edu
Director of Information Services       | 860-832-1719
Central Connecticut State University   | This space for rent
"If anyone objects to what I say I am not only prepared to retract it but
to deny under oath that I ever said it."  T. Lerher