Starter Solenoid...click,click,click

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter Solenoid...click,click,click
From: "Henrich, Dave" <dhenrich@MSDEV1.Waterloo.ATTGIS.COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 09:40:00 EDT
MG Fiends,
Well, finally got the 79B on the road after a long winter hibernation. Took
it for a short run Saturday and a long drive on Sunday.  Everything went
great, car ran well with no problems. That is until I wanted to take my
neighbor for a ride, later on Sunday eve. I turned the key with confidence
only to hear "click,click,click" at the starter. Damn!
I tried again Monday morning only to hear the same thing.

A bit of history:
 - freshly charged battery (9 months old, but inactive last 4 months, I think
it's OK)
 - lights dim drastically when solenoid clicking ( I assume power is getting
there)
 - new starter solenoid last July

Any help appreciated, ( I'm sure this has been a FAQ) as I'm not too sure
where to start to troubleshoot the problem.

Thanks
Dave Henrich
(Waterloo, Ontario, Canada)
Dave.Henrich@Waterloo.ncr.com