Rocker arm bushings

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Rocker arm bushings
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 09:52:22 -0500 (CDT)
Hi folks.

While the head was in the shop (#3 exhaust burned) I took a look at the
rocker assembly.  The shaft exhibited a symmetric wear pattern, with the
outermost rocker positions nearly perfect, and wear gradually worse
towards the middle of the shaft.  Inspection of the rocker arm bushings
displayed the same pattern (duh).  I decided to order a new shaft and
two new bushings for the middle two rockers, under the assumption that a
machine shop would have a simple time of pressing them in.

Well, anybody who's been there can tell you that the bushings have two
oil holes drilled in them.  Apparently, one hole spits oil out the top
of the rocker, while the other hole sends oil to the threaded ball-end
that rides the top of the pushrod.  My local machine shop said no-go on
the oil holes.

It looks as though the real problem is the hole that feeds the ball.  It
appears that the factory drilled the hole in the bushing while drilling
the passage through the rocker arm, then plugged the end of the rocker.
What's the recommended procedure for drilling replacement bushings?

This scenario is complicated by the fact that the threaded ball-end
doesn't seem to have an oil passage in it!  Is oil supposed to simply
dribble down the threads onto the ball, or do I have defective
ball-ends?

I'm really ready to get this car on the road again.  I'm tempted to
forego the "difficult" oil hole; please help me avoid carrying out such
an obviously stupid plan.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast