Re: "Clunker" Laws

To: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>,
Subject: Re: "Clunker" Laws
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 22:34:34 -0400

On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
wrote:
>What exactly is this "Clunker" legislation, and who do we vote
>out of office to prevent it from becoming law? Will it threaten
>our beloved classic british cars?
>
>Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
>53  MG-TD
>71 MGB
>
>The clunker law is half rumor and half fact. In theory it outlaws or through
impossible inspections makes impossible the operation of older cars.Can your MG
pass an emission test run on a dynamo? The concept is loved by the following:

      1. New car manufacturers  Boy will car sales soar!
      2. Industrial polluters who see a radical improvement of air quality
     without spending a dime on what they do to the air.
      3. Politicians who see away of complying with their states pollution
problems through no costs to their taxpayers or the industries they want to
keep
in their state.

Simple solution to complex problems.

However when a society designed around the car for rich and poor  alike then
eliminates the pool of cars for the poor, there will be insurrection in the
streets or at least a thousand % increase in new car theft.What we save in
taxes
we will pay in theft insurance (double)!

In one variation of the clunker law, auto manufacturers will buy back at a
nominal cost the clunkers to remove them from the road. They will probably
export them to the third world at a profit.

Write your congressmen and state legislators, not as car collectors, but as
citizens!

Mike ( get off the soap box ) Leckstein