Can't Get It Started

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Can't Get It Started
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 1996 00:35:12 -0300
OK team - need some input here.

This was posted as an article from TRAFARI@aol.com back on April 4 regarding
timing etc.

"       --180 degree off problem.  If the car cranks, but will not fire--and
occasionally lets out a big bang--you are probably 180 degrees off.  The
timing mark should come up to TDC on compression.  Watch the inlet valve.
 When it opens and closes you are on compression.  As the pulley comes around
on compression, set the mark about 1/4 inch before the arrow on the block (as
viewed from the right hand aside of the car).  The pulley mark will also come
up to TDC as exhaust stroke begins.  If you start timing the engine form this
point you will be 180 off."

My questions:

1)"the arrow on the block" does he mean on the timing cover? (Mine's a '72
vintage I believe, with the marks on the underside of the pully.)

2) As those last two sentences read, if the pully comes up to TDC as the
_exhaust_ stroke begins, then am I 180 off? Should they line up on the
_intake_ stoke?

While my '77 is turning over quite strong, exhibiting 50 pounds pressure
plus on the oil gauge, is getting fuel, has spark...it won't 'catch'.
According to the above, it hasn't let out a 'big bang' yet. I'm glad I found
out about that possibility. I might have had a coronary! <:-O

Your input appreciated

Terry "Still Wondering about .012" valve setting hot" Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster
'77 r-r-r-r-r-roadster
'71 BGT parts-a-ramma