Re: Bumper Height, ABS, Air Bags, and Pseudo-Safety

To: railroad@itw.com, SimJaysun@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bumper Height, ABS, Air Bags, and Pseudo-Safety
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 07:34:50 -0400

> Glen, you're not alone in this sentiment...especially on the ABS brakes.  I
> have a '95 Chevy Blazer LT with ABS brakes, and I feel the same way.  I have
> found that on a dry surface, if you need to stop fast, you will definately
> stop faster with the ABS.  However, on icy/wet surfaces, I question whether
> or not I'd rather have manual control over my brakes than just the "push it
> and pray" sentiment from ABS.
>
> Later,

The point of ABS is not to stop faster rather it is to keep the car
from going out of control during panic stops. Some cars more than
others tend to have the rear end pass the front end under panic braking
situations. ABS is used to prevent this situation as opposed to
stopping you faster. The big misconception is faster braking. If
braking causes the ABS to function then you are probably driving too
fast for the conditions. Then again, Mario Andretti said that if you
are in control then you are not driving fast enough.

- -Mark "Why does my brake pedal always vibrate when I am stopping" Jurras