It RUNS!!, But.....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: It RUNS!!, But.....
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:38:47 +0100
Hi,

I need your help. We had a beautiful weekend in Holland, and i should
be driving with the top down. Instead i spent most of the time lying
under the car. But that's life, i guess.

Last sunday we tried to set the carbs (SU AUD135) for my early '67 B.
The carbs are rebuilt, I mean cleaned, new jets installed, needles
(FX), float bowl jets and needles, etc. The engine is OK. We had
adjusted the valves, set the timing (10 before TDC). The starter
motor worked OK, engine ran fine (oil pressure 45 psi at idle when
hot; 60 psi at 3000 rpm). I had Roger Garnetts article about SU
tuning handy and a Haynes as well, and we have adjusted the carbs by
the book. First synchronized them, with a handy tool from Gunson, and
then adjusted the mixture.
But the engine kept running very rich, even if the jet adjusting nuts
were turned completely in (at that moment the engine ran rich, not
very rich!)
Does anybody know what's the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Bert Otten
'67 B on it's way to 'DOT road allowance test' friday 26th april