Re: history of spridget racing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: history of spridget racing
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 15:02:48 -1000
Will asks about racing special spridgets.

I think the ones he is thinking of are the Sebring Sprites. These were
entered in the big rallies and endurance races (e.g. Sebring 24 hr) by
Donald Healey Motor Co. and later by John Sprinzel (after he took over
the workshop business from DH and moved out to Lancaster Mews).

I have a f/glass sebring bonnet on my daily driver
(http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/cars/james.html). I love it. It would
be even better if I had a spare bugeye grill to put on the front...

The real sebring cars were all bugeyes with engines based on the 948. They
had either aluminium bodies or f/glass bodies. They were all coupes. I have
a poor quality image of a sebring sprite on the spridget picture page
(http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/cars/images/index.html)

The sebring sprite story (and lots of other interesting stuff as well)
is told in John Sprinzel & Tom Coulthard's book "The Spritely Years",
Patrick Stephens Limited, 1994. ISBN 1 85260 498 0

I bought my copy from Mini Mania when I was over in Dec '95. You can
probably find it at most good motoring bookstores.

You should also look for "More Healeys" written by Geoffrey Healey. It
also talk about the Mille Miglia cars and other factory specials. I've
loaned my copy out so I can't give you the ISBN I'm afraid..

cheers, Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au