Re: shock oil

To: "'MG list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: shock oil
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:12:08 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Jean-Pierre Labuschagne wrote:

> I am trying to find out alternatives to using shock oil for the lever arm
> shocks (why?, because its expensive in SA (Moss variety) and almost
> impossible to find). I have heard of two alternatives one being using ATF
> and the other being motor cycle fork oil which is a 20w.
>
> Are there any opinions on this?

I've used motorcycle fork oil in lever shocks for many years, and have
never seen any adverse effects.  SAE20 is probably the most common
viscosity and seems to work fine for most applications but you can find
it in other viscosities ranging from SAE10 to SAE50, which gives you the
opportunity to tune your shocks a bit.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.