RE: Replacing Heads on MGB

To: 007 <jmel@netcom.com>
Subject: RE: Replacing Heads on MGB
From: "Ernest E. Gilbert" <barrister@lawref.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 11:25:09 -0700
The Moss catalog sez that the heads are interchangable, other than:

1. No air injection holes - will the CA smog police notice?
2. Must use manual choke  - ditto

I'm not the high pristess but I can give you the one basic rule on smog
equipment. The car must have all emission control equipment it was born with
even if it can pass the requirements without it.

I have never heard of an owner being stopped to check smog equipment but I
won't discount the possibility. Here is how it works in CA. You take your car
to a certified test station. The technician checks it and certifies all the
bits are there and functioning. His computer is connected real time to the
state computer while he does this. If your car passes the state computer is
happy whether or not the technician lied about the bits. The state computer can
tell over time if the technician has a dummy car to test instead of yours.

Problem is the technician never knows whether you are a real customer or a
servent of the state computer. And a test car will have a missing or
disconnected bit to test the technician. If the technician fails the test one
or two times he will receive heavy fines. On the third bust his expensive
equipment is confiscated and his license revoked.

Out of respect for my good friend who relies on his equipment for his living I
either 1) drive pre smog cars, or 2) insure all the bits are there and working
in case someone checks me.

There are some noises around that CA has developed a roadside sensor that can
identify dirty cars. A bit far fetched but could be tied to the clunker
movement.

barrister@lawref.com