oil loss

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil loss
From: "Ernest E. Gilbert" <barrister@lawref.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 96 18:02:49 -0700
Since placing my '67 BGT on the road 4500 miles ago with a newly rebuilt engine
it has lost a quart of oil in about 500 miles. Frequent trips up the lift have
shown no significant oil leaks and it just dosen't seem to be burning it.

The only clues I have are:
1) when I added a quart while it was idling it began smoking seriously and ran
with the ignition off. This cleared in minutes but the gulp valve connection to
the manifold became very wet.

2) increasingly when I sit at a lite for a while it will smoke through the
first 2 gears.

My theory now is that the oil draining down over the push rods is being sucked
into the vent at the front side cover, up to the gulp valve, and into the
intake. Only other answer I can think of is valve guides or seals but it
dosen't seem to smoke when first started like my truck which definitely has
this condition. Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance

Ernest
barrister@lawref.com