Re: Double Clutch and Saab/MG-TD Shifting

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Double Clutch and Saab/MG-TD Shifting
From: Guy Kelley <guyk@ayla.lbl.gov>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 16:40:58 -0700
On Fri, 29 Mar 1996 11:20:39, Bob Donahue wrote:

> Now for the LBC content. The TD does not have syncro in
> 1st gear, but 2nd gear is still pretty low. (If the TD were
> a truck, I think they would call 1st Granny.) Do TD drivers
> just normally avoid down shifting into 1st? I would think
> you would not need to be in 1st unless you were really
> creeping along. In fact, I'm tempted to start in 2nd
> (at least on level ground). Would this be a bad idea?
> How do you other T series owners usually shift?

Sorry about such a delayed response to an old posting.  I got WAY behind
with my email!

In my TD, if I am stopped, I will always start off in 1st gear (unless I
am on a steep down grade).  If I am rolling slowly, sometimes I will start
off in 2nd and sometimes I will come to a complete stop and go into 1st -
it depends on the slope I am on and whether someone is on my bumper.
I figure there will just be too much clutch wear starting off in 2nd most
of the time.

When I was younger (I have had this car for 32 years), I used to double
clutch into 1st gear so that I wouldn't have to come to a complete stop.
I'll still double clutch (heal to toe) while down-shifting into 3rd
or 2nd, but since going into 1st takes the most skill and is the
most difficult, I don't practice that procedure any more.  (Sigh!)

By-the-way, since I moved 2 weeks ago, I had to get my TD going again after
sitting in my garage without having been run in 2 or 3 years.  I put in a
new battery, new oil (30 W non-detergent, as usual), filled the radiator,
and she started after only the 3rd or 4th cranking.  Taking her out on
the road for the 10 mile drive to my new home was sure a joy.  I am
going to get her out more often!

Guy Kelley
gokelley@lbl.gov
'53 MG-TD