Re: Vibration

To: "Mike Ashby . Mathematics" <ashby@smhs.medford.or.us>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vibration
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Thu, 02 May 1996 05:11:34 +0600
Mike Ashby wrote:
> Several weeks ago I posted a vibration problem in my 80B.I have since
>discovered that the source is intermittent contact of the exhaust system
>and the steering rod.

Aha!  I dug up your original post.  That'd sure explain the vibration's
appearance when you lift off the throttle.

>A mechanics advice was to shim the motor mounts
>to raise the engine slightly.Any opinions?

Yeah, that'd work, but it's probably not the best solution.  If
the engine mounts are solid, and the exhaust pipe is in its proper location,
nothing should rub.

In your original post, you mention a cracked left motor mount.  Not
sure if "cracked" means "broken" or just "showing age," but a dodgy
left mount is a sure-fire ticket to the vibration problem, so that's
where I'd direct my attention first.  Give it a thorough inspection
(i.e. remove it) before shimming anything.  I know It's a real pain
in the arse for the left side, since you'll never get it out
without removing the steering shaft first.

One possible solution would be to remove both rubber mounts and
rotate them around 180 degrees before reattaching.  The studs on
the mounts are off-center, so rotating them could boost the engine
up a little, depending on whether the the stud is currently sitting
high or low.  I never have gotten a satisfactory answer on which orientation
is correct, but both are possible.  The holes in the
chassis that the studs fit are oblong, not circular, so you've got
a little room to play with there too.

Check to see if the exhaust pipe hasn't been pushed out of its
normal position.  There oughta be a bracket securing the low end
of the downpipe to the engine.  Might be possible to realign
everything by just unclamping the muffler from the pipe and shifting
it around.
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu