Re: British Racing Green Poll

To: Don Mathis <tdm@smtp-gw.ak.att.com>
Subject: Re: British Racing Green Poll
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 08:24:03 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Don Mathis wrote:

>    MGB          1976    Ditzler 45190 / Dupont 44630    "Brooklands" Green
>                         (BMC/BL BLVC 169)
>
> When I see the word "Brooklands", I think of the green Bentleys that raced
> there.  The pictures that I have of those show a medium dark green, maybe a
> forest green.

        When I was deciding on what color to paint my TR4 I tooke a photo of
        one of the LeMans Bentleys with me. The paint store let me take their
        swatch book outside in the sun. I went through all the colors and
        found the closest match for that Bentley's green was Brooklands Green
        (noted above).

        After the car was painted, my neighbors (I lived in rural illinois)
        would kid me that the car only needed yellow wheels to look like
        their John Deeres.

> I continue to think of British racing green originating in the 20's and 30's
> so I never consider a metallic paint as a proper BRG.

        BRG came after WWI... Prior to that the "Oficial" racing color
        for Great Britain was Red... Though the "oficial" color was not
        enforced (most manufacturers followed their own lead).

        BTW, one speed 6 Bentley owner told me that the color was
        achieved by painting the big cars yellow and then overspraying with
        transparent green or blue laquer until the "proper color" was attained.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois