New MGs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New MGs
From: ebryan@bournemouth.ac.uk (Eardley Bryan)
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 12:30:48 +0100
Stephen Brooke wrote:

"Yes, sure Metro, Maestro and Montego were all MGs, and people are
quite rightly proud of their MG versions of each of these cars.

But let us not forget that Austin Rover (as they were then) certainly
did not grace these cars with the MG badge because they earned
it by being good sportscars. The one and only reason that Austin Rover
called them MGs was because it was a cheap marketing trick
that helped sell mediocre, low quality cars. Thank goodness the
MGF is actually a genuine sportscar, and not just another re-hash
to try and keep the name alive like the RV8 was."

I agree with that.  But I think that, after MG production was stopped and
the factory was closed, some people tried to buy the name and BL, (or
whoever it was at the time) did not want to sell it, so probably they felt
justified in using the name on those Models in order to justify their
decision.

Eardley

ebryan@bournemouth.ac.uk
'68 B GT (daily driver), '80 Ital (daily driver when Amy is away)
Oliver has six Minis and a Vauxhall Carlton.