RE: Valve guides

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve guides
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 15:53:00 -0700 (PDT)
If it ain't broke don't fix it... But, You can check if there is too much
clearance between the valve and guide by measuring the amount that the valve
wobbles in the guide. A shop may reccommend ferrulling sp? the guides which
I believe is just like threading the guide so that the peaks of the thread
take up the clearance problem. I asked my shop to do this when I had work
done to the head but they insisted it didn't need it. I get a nice little
plume of blue smoke when I start the car after its been sitting for a while
from the oil leaking down the guides. If anything, I would magnaflux it at a
shop to check for cracks and ask their advice. ~$20 to magnaflux a head

Chris Reichle