Re: "Hot" coil with Crane ignition

To: rwj4123 <rwj4123@acs.tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: "Hot" coil with Crane ignition
From: Robert J Donahue/DELCO <RJDONAHU@mail.delcoelect.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 09:37:28 +0000
>--- On Sun, 5 May 1996 15:52:42 -0400  JersyA@aol.com wrote:
>
>>Hi Ray,
>>
>>Finally had some time to fool around with the spit again. I'm getting 15
>>volts while cranking the motor and 12 volts will running.
>
>I don't understand how this can be.  (15 volts while cranking??)

I have found that the transients (voltage spikes) generated
by the ignition on my TD, fool my fancy electronic
multimeter. These meters used to be called VTVMs back in the
tube days, later they were called TVMs when they were
transistorized. Now a days they are called DVMs for
digital voltmeter. I get a proper reading with an old non-
electronic (no battery inside) voltmeter.

Bob Donahue, Still stuck in the '50s
1953 MG-TD
1971 MGB