Re: MGB LE

To: dano@n-jcenter.com
Subject: Re: MGB LE
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 01:01:55 -0400
Dave:

I think I'd answer your question with a question, first. How much would you
pay for a Ford pickup in the same condition? (I'm certain to get flamed on
that one, but bear with me).

I'd say, offhand, about $700 or so.

My rule of thumb for autos of any sort is something like, if it runs, $500
base. If it's inspectable, $500 base. $1000 base for any running, inspectable
car of whatever vintage.  Modify for collectibility, intrinsic value, good
body, etc.  If it neither runs nor is inspectable, and a significant amount
of work needs to be done to bring it to either happy possibility, (roughly
the case you've outlined) give it 10% of it's final restored value +/- $100
or so.  All of this assumes the body is more-or-less intact.

A few things further to consider:

1) Most (if not all) of the rubber bits will need to be replaced.  Include
obvious things like tyres and windscreen seals, but less obvious things like
the bushings that hold the motor adjustment bracket in place.

2) The motor (which your potential seller says will not turn over) has
probably siezed, even if it was covered. Although this is somewhat less
serious than having a blown head gasket, nevertheless it rules out any
discussion of how many miles are on the car.  The engine will likely need a
good bit of rebuilding before it will run again reliably.

3) Don't expect the interior to last longer, simply because it hasn't been
used. Vinyl just plain disintegrates with age, too.

4) One wonders just why a car with 49k miles was simply garaged (barned?) for
13 years.  Original causes might figure in the cost.

5) Unless your brother owns a flatbed trailer or a rollback wrecker, you'll
have to pay to get it to Florida. (That is, unless you're simply going to
work on it in New England...).  Figure the transport cost in your final
estimate.

Good luck! Hope none of this was too obvious.

Cheers,

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'
...which sat for 10 years before I bought her