Re: Headlamp relays Help!

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Headlamp relays Help!
From: "G.J." <johnsong@is.dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 19:47:17 -0300 (ADT)
Well, I successfully hooked up the relays for my headlamps and driving
lamps, using a common fuse and common ground for the three relays.
The lights are all significantly brighter.  I used 12 guage wire with a
30 A fast-blow fuse, hooked up to the starter, and the same guage wire for
the relay coil ground. All connections
were soldered and shrink wrapped. Correctly coloured 14 guage was used
for connections to existing wiring. The only "possible problem" is the
headlamp harness, which , I think , is only 16 guage. This means the
headlamps are being powered using 12 guage, down to 14 guage, and down
again to 16 guage.

 battery (starter) --12 guage wire -->30 A fuse -->pin #30 of relay

 #87 pin --> 14 guage --->16 guage? left headlamp -->16 guage to ground

                        --->16 guage? right headlamp -->16 guage to ground

(separate relays for high and low beam).

The driving lamps are 12 guage all the way to 4" of 18 guage "built into"
the lamps.  This isn't "dangerous", is it?   Upgrading the headlight harness
and the 4" 18 guage in the driving lamps is a little more involved, so I
will wait until I get back from my trip to Maine.

   / ______/        |   |  Greg A.M.Johnson           '72 & '66 MGB
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dalhousie University
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
   * See the British Automobile Touring Association of NS Home Page!*

          http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html