Help with old Allison Electronic Ignition

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help with old Allison Electronic Ignition
From: "Allan R. Hovis" <hovisa@nando.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 96 21:46:27 -0400
Help! I have had an intermittent electrical problem on my 72 B that I
think is in my Crane/Allison electronic ignition module. Since it is
slightly more that a year old (I know what the catalogs say about
lifetime warranty, but straight from Crane (after 45 min. wait on the
phone) it is "one year only and the catalogs are wrong and not our
problem") I wanted to make sure it is the problem before I send it back.
A friend had an extra unit from an old car but can't remember how the
wires hook up. This is the old model with the transistor visible on top
of the heat sink. It has the three wire cable which goes to the photocell
and a red wire coming out of one side of the end and a black wire and a
smaller red wire coming out of the other. Does anyone know what goes
where? I am assuming that I can't hurt my photocell by plugging the old
model into my current models cell. Any help would be most appreciated as
the car runs fine for weeks at a time and then (usually in the middle of
the worst possible place) just has no spark at all. After a few minutes
of shaking all of the wires, taking off and replacing the distributor
cap, it will start again and be perfectly fine. Sometimes it will be this
way first thing in the morning. Very weird and hard to find. I have
replaced cap, wires, rotor etc. but nothing works so I am left with the
assumption it is the EI unit. Any suggestion/help will be most
appreciated.

Allan R. Hovis
hovisa@nando.net