First Impressions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: First Impressions
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 20:40:08 -0300 (ADT)
What we have here is a mobile '77 MGB, with a new heart, transplanted by moi!

Took the car for a 'maiden voyage' (is there a better, more PC way to say
that?). First drive under it's own power since late June of last year!

Transplant feels pretty good. Great oil pressure, no appreciable smoke,
sounds 'tight'. Clutch is amazing! Smooth as silk, like stepping in soft
butter. (Replaced the disc on installation.)

Feels a tad 'soft' on the low end, torque picks up noticeably on
accelleration. Suspect timing/carbs not 100%.

After work tonight, I pulled 'er out into the driveway to wash off
practically a year's garage dust. Created not only by it's immobility, but
the cleaning, sanding, and respraying of the underhood area (from it's
original Inca Yellow, to the PO's choice of the body re-spray, Damask Red.
This including stripping the entire engine bay of everything,
stripping/saning off the yellow, repriming in a high build, more sanding and
finally, painting the whole shebang (hebang?)

Cleaned the wiring, de-rusted, polished and finished all brackets, metal
lines, nuts and bolts. The 'new' engine wears gloss black, with attention to
details. The whole effect is quite nice, wish I had a plexiglass hood (bonnet?)!

I swear I saw the car grinning as I left the garage.

This is a car I purchased for $700 in April '93 (included a roach of a '74
parts car)! It's designated 'road MG' - moreso in season than the '68 or the
GT. Amazingly sound, it does need paint _real bad_! Seems that in the POs
(don't known 'em well enough to determine if D should be attached to PO!)
re-paint, he/she/they used a base coat/clear coat. In many areas of the car
(middle of the hood/bonnet, fender tops) the clearcoat has lifed, leaving
the visual effect of a rash! It has some 'tip-of-the-iceberg' sill rust, but
floors, trunk floor, jacking points - all the usual areas are amazingly
solid. Makes for a nice old MG. Last year, I picked up a hardtop -
interestingly enough - painted Damask Red! With it's 'hat' on, the matching
hardtop gives the impression of a coupe, particularly when parked beside the
GT's fastback style.

Am I rambling?

I certainly will be come Friday. Car's booked for it's safety inspection
(annual event in Nova Scotia), and the long weekend's acomin', (That'll be
the Victoria Day weekend in Canada) and the forecast calls for MGs!

Cheers!

Terry
'70 BGT (glistenin')
'68 roadster (shinnin')