Re: Engine grounding

To: Jay Tilton <jtilton@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Engine grounding
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 10:57:28 -0500
Jay Tilton wrote:

> I'm making an effort to diagnose and exorcise my problem with the
> starter that balks in the heat.  I decided to check the engine's
> ground, but I can't for the life of me find the strap.  In all my
> spider-crawling around under the car, I don't think I've ever
> noticed it.  It's gotta be getting ground from *somewhere*, since
> the engine runs just fine once started.  But whatever ground it
> may have might be too dodgy to handle all the current from the
> starter.
>
> Where would the engine grounding strap normally be located on a
> 77 B?
> --
> Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu

Jay -

On my 79B the ground strap connected across the rear transmission
mount (which is rubber) from the transmission to the support frame.
In the Haynes manual, there is reference to a ground strap that goes
across the left engine mount.  I recall reading (in British Cars magazine,
I think) of a recommendation to run a second battery cable from the
battery box negative up to the starter and connect it to the engine block
via one of the starter mounting bolts.  Claimed to greatly improve the
starting and lighting on the car.

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX