Timing

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Timing
From: JSCHMI7@CARVM8.VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 07:23:03 EDT
Anyone,  I am not on on the mgs list but need some help for a neighbor restorin
g a 58 1500 MGA.  He bought this car partly restored and has continued by doing
the wiring and brakes etc.  The motor, he was told, was fine.

Yesterday we attempted to start it.  Spark was present and the new fuel pump
was working, although the filter was never filled fuel was manually poured
into the bowls to start.

All we got was an occasional backfire.  I suggested that the distributer could
be 180 degrees out.  I recalled that in my 1500 (many years ago) the dist could
be turned 180.  we tried this and, even though it looks like it could be turned
around, it would not drop in at 180.

It started to rain and my Datsun Roadster was topless so I had to leave so we
didnt have time to check for top dead center (which I dont remember the valve
settings for) so thats next.

Any help would be appriciated.

John Schmitt 69 Datsun Roadster 2000
jschmi7@carvm8.vnet.ibm.com