Re: Eqpt review: Moss MGB wood steering wheel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Eqpt review: Moss MGB wood steering wheel
From: DamitDick@gnn.com (Damit Dick)
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 16:09:00
A. B. Bonds wrote:

>Feeling flush with my income tax refund, I ordered a Moss wooden
>steering wheel for my '73 MGB.  (The refund covered about half the
>purchase price of $150).  This is a new item and is different in
>that it bolts on to the existing hub for a fairly easy install.
>You get to retain the original horn push (a mixed blessing).  It
>fits early 70's B's that had that kinda leathery wheel with the
>not-quite-stainless brushed spokes that rust.
>
>The wooden wheel is made in China.  The good side is the size and
>feel of the wheel.  It is exactly the same diameter as the old
>wheel (14") and the geometry is about the same.  The wooden rim is

>very nicely finished and is, if anything, a trifle fatter than the

>leather wheel. This looks a bit clumsy but feels very good.  One
>would not have to rely on driving gloves to go long distances with

>such a comfortable surface.  The scallops on the back are also
>broad, in that I can fit two fingers in a depression rather than
>one.  This is not a problem.
>
>The two downers are (1) the install was a slight hassle in that I
>had to ream out one of the mounting holes to get it to fit
>smoothly on the existing hub and (2) the highly-vaunted "mirror
>chrome finish" on the spokes is really not very good.  The base
>was not well-polished before it was chromed, and it has ripples
>and a couple of noticeable pits.
>
>Is it worth $150?  Probably not, since it's certainly not the
>quality one is used to seeing in the more traditional wheels.  But

>is is comfy, easy to install and looks good from across the
>street.

It was with apprehension that I ordered this wheel for installation

on my '70 B-GT. I had seen one installed and talked with the owner
who had also had problems fitting it to the existing hub. He solved

his by bending the spokes slightly.

My installation went relatively smoothly. No bending of spokes or
reaming of holes. Just a little tweaking to make it fit! I agree,
"the highly-vaunted 'mirror chrome finish'" is not as good as it
could be. But all things considered I am happy with it and feel
that it was well worth the price especially when compared to the
several hundred it would cost for a Nardi, Personnel, or MotoLita!

Dick :>)
Vintage Parts & Products
Camarillo, California
Have MG will travel