Horn - a mind of it's own ? - the solution

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Horn - a mind of it's own ? - the solution
From: Garry Hill/estec/ESAdev
Date: 10 Jun 96 8:43:11
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who replied with answers to my horn problem - it's great to
know that whatever problems we have with our LBCs, there's always someone out
there who has an answer. Well here it is....Over the weekend I decided to start
with the horn-push on the steering column. I have a Moto-Lita steering wheel
with a horn-push that slides into the center - I took that out and with it came
a disconnected piece of wire (aha I thought !). Next, I removed the housing
that surrounds the flasher/headlight stalk on the steering column and a great
load of plastic debris came with it. What had happened was that the metal ring
that's attached to the back of the steering wheel boss had detached from the
boss and the horn-push wire so that the whole assembly was jumping around
inside the housing - touching any piece of earth that it happened to feel like
touching, hence the random peep peeps.

The solution....hmmm...well I didn't feel like paying $$$s for a new Moto-Lita
boss so I went to the local electronics store and bought a push switch to mount
on the center console and I routed the horn wire from the steering column to
the switch. OK, it's not original but neither is the Moto-Lita steering wheel.

BTW, I wonder why Moto-Lita make such a wonderful wood/alloy steering wheel and
spoils things by producing such a feeble hook-up arrangement for the horn.
Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Garry Hill