b*tch and moan: safety inspections

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: b*tch and moan: safety inspections
From: KBEST@novell.com ((karl best)(Karl Best))
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 15:15:31 -0400
Just got the registration renewal in the mail, so it must be time for
the yearly safety inspection for the MGA.

So I leave work early yesterday to avoid the late afternoon and
weekend traffic jams at all the inspection places, and go get the car
out of the storage unit, and do a quick inspection of my own just to
make sure. Drive up the road to the first most convenient place, and
they say they don't do inspections anymore. Second place is busy;
can't get to it until tomorrow. Third place their only inspection guy
went home early. Fourth place can't help me until tomorrow; says come
back for sure in the morning. And the fifth. The sixth they want to
close up early today. The seventh pretty much the same, or at least I
didn't stick around for the excuse. I give up and take the car back to
the storage unit.

This morning try again. Go get the car. Take it to the place that said
come back for sure in the morning; sorry, full up 'til Monday. Next
place can't get to it for a couple hours. Next place doesn't do
inspection on Thursdays. Go back to the place that can't do it for a
couple hours; the guy takes pity on me and tells me about a place a
couple miles away that does only inspections, and even calls them up;
they're available. Drive there, guy takes my registration, fills out
the forms, takes my money, and hands me the signed certificate.
"Aren't you going to look at the car?" I ask. "Nope, looked good to me
when you pulled up."

Twelve stops and a couple hours and 10 dollars later I'm legal. I
think next year I'll just tell the state that I don't feel like going
through the hassle. Thank god it's a '57 so there's no emmissions to
do...

</karl>
Karl F. Best
Sr. Online Doc Consultant                      God: Oh, don't grovel!
Novell Corporate Publishing Services           Arthur: Sorry!
Orem, UT   801-222-7517
kbest@novell.com  http://www.xmission.com/~kbest  '57 MGA roadster
Novell rep to ANSI X3V1.8, ISO/IEC-JTC1/SC18/WG8, Davenport, SGML Open